Let's face it, women want long fingernails. They're sexy and they're feminine. But the question always remains, how can I get them naturally? Here are some key ways to help get your nails to grow longer and stronger.
- Eat a healthy diet. Our nails, hair and skin reflect our overall health and nutrition. Eating healthy foods rich in vitamins, minerals and other healthy nutrients is a long term solution with excellent results. Your nails, hair and skin can improve over time.
- Keep them protected. Use gloves when doing dishes, gardening or any mechanical work. Water damages nails, so do chemicals and hard use.
- Keep your nails polished at all times. Nail polish increases the thickness of your nails thereby protecting the nails. Even if you only use a clear polish, making certain to cap the tips of your nails. Prevent them from chipping by applying another clear coat (top coat) every 2-3 days. For more on nail polish see Prevent Polish Chipping & Peeling
- Do not clip your nails. Clipping the nails creates micro-cracks. If you must clip your nails, soak them in water for approximately two minutes first. If possible, invest in a precision blade nail clipper. It is preferable to file your nails in one direction, from side to tip
- Do not let your nails get TOO long. Be realistic. Based on your activity levels and what you do with your hands, keep your nails just a little shorter than where they usually break. If one finger breaks more often than the others, keep that nail shorter as you use that finger more or it has a weak area.
- Use a good Cuticle Oil. Skin sebum keeps nails healthy but as we mature, sebum production diminishes. Replace natural sebum with natural plant based oils rich in Vitamin E like Almond oil (softens nails), Macadamia Nut and Jojoba oil (mimic natural sebum).
- Massage your finger tips daily. Increased blood circulation to the nails stimulates faster nail growth. This can be done in conjunction with using cuticle oil.
- Have a regular manicure. It doesn't matter if you do it yourself or if someone does it for you, a regular manicure will keep you aware of your nails and you will protect them more.